Skip to main content

Tanka Project #18 #MeToo

I have been a woman for ages, and I am no amateur woman either, I'm a professional woman. I've read Caitlin Moran's book and I am fully clued up on How to be a Woman. I went to University for three whole years studying Women's Studies, I represented women as a Women's Officer. I know about womaning.

I know about sexual assault and inappropriateness too. Sometimes I was even targeted because of being Women's Officer and doing Women's Studies. I have had lots of experiences, from minor to major, and I have been aware of lots of other women's experiences of all the many and various kinds.

I don't think you have to be a professional woman to have this experience, just looking like you might be a woman can get you lined right up for it. So I am not delighted that there are so very many women saying #MeToo at the moment, rather, I am delighted that we are all of us taking the same moment to pick up those disgusting rocks and show the nastiness underneath. 

We have known about this for ages, but now everybody is talking about it. 

That's not easy. It's made me remember a lot of things I'd rather not, it's made me wonder about the guilt that lays with me. I have been told by a woman that I was giving her unwanted attention - I should have asked and not assumed and not put her in a situation like that. I have advised other women not to report unless they were totally convinced that something would come of it. That was done out of wanting to protect them, but what if we had all reported? Would we have been talking about it sooner?

Reading people's experiences has particularly brought to mind one of my first experiences, wherein I agreed to go for a walk with someone who took me somewhere unsafe and assaulted me. He walked me to the train station after that, and I went with him, shocked, and scared. On that walk a man went past us and commented to the man 'you've got a pretty girl there.' Nothing was said to me. I didn't report it to the police for ages, and when I did I was told I shouldn't have gone with him and that things had just gone a little too far and now I'd know not to be so daft in future.

I am pretty sure that wouldn't happen now. I hope that wouldn't happen now. I might have been stupid to go for a walk with him, to go to the unsafe place, but it is not my fault that he did what he did. That is on him. The thing I wonder is though, how great a leap it was for him to behave like that in a society where it would be reasonable to complement a strange man on the prettiness of the girl he was with. It's clear in that that girls and women were just seen as things to have, not as people.

I think we're getting to the point wherein we're seen as people, but we are still living in societies built on ideas that we aren't.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A wee update

  Hello! Thought I'd give you a wee update on how things are going in my world! Little Gods came out with Roswell Press at the end of September 2023 and I was really busy for the first bit of October, reading poems from the new book at various local events. I'm really grateful for all the books people bought, but there's still copies available, either online via Amazon  for Kindle or in paperback, or you can get in touch with me at caralmckee (at) gmail (dot) com to get a signed copy of Little Gods and/or First Kiss sent to you in the post! After my reading frenzy at the beginning of October I took a little break for a birthday celebration frenzy (it's still going on, there's a lot to celebrate). I've been meaning to read a couple of poems online too, but I'm having a flare of trigeminal neuralgia which is triggered by talking, so that will come when it comes. I'm hoping to read at the Scottish Writer's Centre launch of their new Mountain & Glen

Interview with Gutter

It was lovely to be invited to do an interview with the marvellous Gutter magazine in the light of my poem, Bending to Nightbreak , being published (in fabulous company) in issue 27. Here's a couple of pics they shared on Instagram from it - a picture of me, and a quote. You can find the whole interview, and one with Simon Wade too, here . 

Chapbook number two is coming!

  Great news today as I'm working on a new chapbook coming soon with Roswell Publishing. This is all I'm going to show you right now - my beautiful notebook, picked up at the Bronte Parsonage Museum in Haworth, on my last ever day out with my Mum. This notebook is full of mostly glued in, revised, scribbled on and annotated poems, some of which are going in to the new wee collection with Roswell. Why did I want to work with Roswell Publishing for this collection? I was following Rae on Instagram because I'd seen her pop up in some other writerly stuff I was interested in, and she seemed to be working with a load of writers I am currently obsessed with - like Claire Askew, Kate Garrett, and Alice Tarbuck for example, so when I saw she was calling for submissions, I went for it. She's been such a joy to work with so far, and I look forward to being able to tell you more about my second chapbook! Find out more about Roswell Publishing on their website , or head over to the