Skip to main content

Finding words

I've been struggling to find words I feel are worth writing of late. 

Of course the first conclusion I jumped to was that I was done - nothing more of use would come of my writing. But then I thought of other women around my age, in particular the amazing poet who I once met leaving early as I was arriving late for a writing event. Why was she leaving? She said it was because there was nothing she could say. I tried to convince her otherwise, but I failed, and I was horrified that we missed out on her voice because of what I could only think was a crisis of confidence.

Lately that same thing has been happening to me. I've attended events, feeling like I ought to go, like I'll enjoy it when I'm there, and then I've not enjoyed it. I've found myself unable to write anything I'd want anyone else to hear, ashamed of my awfulness. I found myself looking at my writing and thinking, who would care anyway?

A lot of this I'm putting down to perimenopause - I'm at that time of life where women seem to become somewhat invisible, no longer valued for being young and attractive, and so no longer listened to, while also undergoing hormone shifts that can make us feel anxious and lacking in confidence.

And of course this is real life, there's never just one thing happening. I'm navigating grief, and I'm trying to do the best for my kids and my various work endeavours and volunteering against the backdrop of the ongoing scream of the coronavirus pandemic, disrupting everything, making everything difficult and complicated.

I decided that this was a good time to focus on getting my work out there, and so I've been busy submitting, which has been going fine (more details on where to find my poems here), but I was missing my creative fix, so I was very interested to hear about Artist's Dates. These are an idea from Julia Cameron - author of The Artist's Way (who also came up with Morning Pages, which so many people find useful to get the day kickstarted). With Artist's Dates you do something fun, once a week, which can help get you excited and fill up your creativity. Find out more here.

With the idea of doing something that stimulated creativity and play I started going to things that weren't about poetry, but I thought would be fun. One of these was a bitch and stitch type group from Beyond Form Creative Writing, who offer lots of great courses and events and are well worth checking out. I joined a group of writers from all over who were working on various textile projects. It was so nice to be in such a diverse group of creative people, with no pressure to perform. We could just chat and delight in what each other was doing. The first time I went we all stayed on after it was supposed to have finished, just hanging out in this lovely virtual space. Someone asked me what I was writing at the moment, and I said I just couldn't find words that seemed worth writing, and people talked about others feeling the same way, and one beautiful person made a suggestion: use other people's words - cut them up, erase them, find my voice in other people's.

I'd come across found poetry before, but never tried to 'write' any. This suggestion sent me off trying to find out about the different techniques. I raided my scrap paper drawer, I eyed up the withdrawn books in my library. I played, I glued and coloured and found things I loved. I tore things to bits and enjoyed messing about. I didn't mind things not being good. I accidentally made things that were good. I had fun. 



[Image of a poem using words from Rubber Existentialism by Iona Gibson, Something More Than This by Niina Tsuyuki Oubik, Minutes from a Parent Council Meeting, Notes from a writing workshop by Alison Craig, all on a background of an image from an old Gudrun Sjödén catalogue, glued into my Ottergami notebook. Poem reads I / dream that / something can be done / Something more than this / a starting point / no matter how fragile / a way of deep-mining / the glimmer of an idea / I don't feel / feel rather than think, / that / my worth ... is disposable.]

To be honest, I felt really excited about creating poetry again, and just kept wanting to try things, find out more. I went on an Artist's Date to Erasures, an amazing event at StAnza poetry festival which included Alice Hiller and her astonishing work using erasure to discuss her experience of grooming and childhood sexual abuse. There is so much more on her website, here.

I still have a lot to explore in found poetry and Artist's Dates, and I'm still finding it hard to think, let alone create, but at least I don't feel bad about being bad at found poetry, and I don't believe you can get good at anything unless you're willing to be bad! So I'll keep playing and trying new things and enjoying the process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A wee update

  Hello! Thought I'd give you a wee update on how things are going in my world! Little Gods came out with Roswell Press at the end of September 2023 and I was really busy for the first bit of October, reading poems from the new book at various local events. I'm really grateful for all the books people bought, but there's still copies available, either online via Amazon  for Kindle or in paperback, or you can get in touch with me at caralmckee (at) gmail (dot) com to get a signed copy of Little Gods and/or First Kiss sent to you in the post! After my reading frenzy at the beginning of October I took a little break for a birthday celebration frenzy (it's still going on, there's a lot to celebrate). I've been meaning to read a couple of poems online too, but I'm having a flare of trigeminal neuralgia which is triggered by talking, so that will come when it comes. I'm hoping to read at the Scottish Writer's Centre launch of their new Mountain & Glen

Chapbook number two is coming!

  Great news today as I'm working on a new chapbook coming soon with Roswell Publishing. This is all I'm going to show you right now - my beautiful notebook, picked up at the Bronte Parsonage Museum in Haworth, on my last ever day out with my Mum. This notebook is full of mostly glued in, revised, scribbled on and annotated poems, some of which are going in to the new wee collection with Roswell. Why did I want to work with Roswell Publishing for this collection? I was following Rae on Instagram because I'd seen her pop up in some other writerly stuff I was interested in, and she seemed to be working with a load of writers I am currently obsessed with - like Claire Askew, Kate Garrett, and Alice Tarbuck for example, so when I saw she was calling for submissions, I went for it. She's been such a joy to work with so far, and I look forward to being able to tell you more about my second chapbook! Find out more about Roswell Publishing on their website , or head over to the

Happy New Year!

I can still wish you happy new year before January's out, right? Having spending a while doing research and convincing myself I can't write, I'm back in the room in 2019, sending my little baby poems out into the world. I have broken up the chapbook I was trying to get published, I've rewritten lots of stuff, and I'm happily sending them out to places where I hope they might find a happy home, while supporting some of the fantastic poetry magazines out there. One of those fantastic poetry magazines - Picaroon Poetry  - run by the marvellous Kate Garrett - has already accepted one of my babies. It was one of the ones that I'd started to feel bored by, so I tore it to bits, rewrote it, and sent it off to Kate, who will be sending it out into the world in Picaroon Poetry #16 in May (which is terribly organised if you ask me, I don't even know what I'm doing tomorrow!). Thanks Kate!  Hopefully I'll be letting you all know about more successes soo