Skip to main content

Year ending round up

All the best to you and yours for the festive season and let's hope 2022 brings an easier year for us all.

Having spent the beginning of the covid period writing daily poems, getting involved with endless online events, launching a book in lockdown (get in touch at caralmckee at gmail dot com to get your copy), and with a flurry of poetry publications in journals and the like, I found this year's quietness a surprise. 

Family members took ill and died (not covid, but certainly not helped), my children struggled with the endless days of schoolwork and not much else, we all struggled. On the day my daughter's guinea pig died she said "everything is dying and nothing is good." I couldn't argue with her.

I also couldn't write. I did try sometimes. I attended some events, I tried to style myself through it, but I felt like everything I wrote was terrible. Instead of enjoying events and poetry podcasts I would think them irrelevant or pointless, or decide that if I thought anything was good it was so good I could never aspire to it and so I should give up and leave the pool for the good swimmers.

Sometimes, particularly when I needed to keep my brain busy, I figured that while it maybe wasn't the time for me to be growing my poetry writings, it was perhaps alright for me to let them go out into the world. I've not sent out as much writing this year, but I've been a bit more succesful than usual so far. I sent a lot out in Autumn, so as we come to the end of the year my rejection rate is somewhere between half and three quarters, and that's pretty wide! I won't achieve 100 rejections this year. Perhaps next.

Anyway, I was glad to get a poem into Dodging the Rain again at Christmas, it's a beautiful online poetry journal, always worth a read. For more of my poetry successes, check out this page, which I keep updated.

My poetry related book of 2021 would actually be a novel by the rather wonderful Salena Godden. If you've not yet read Mrs Death Misses Death you can buy it in bookshops everywhere (including online) or get it out from your local library. I highly recommend the audio book, read by Salena Godden herself, again, probably available from your library.

“Living is not as easy as they all make it seem. It is not as simple as breathe in and breathe out. It is not as simple as sleep, eat, work, repeat, sleep, eat, work, repeat. It is not as easy as they all make it look. You made it to today. You made it this far, well done you, and thank you. Thank you. Thank yourself. Thank you.”

 

So next year, what are you looking forward to? I am hoping for hugs and holidays and cheese and chips on the front with crowds of people. I am hoping my library gets to open and I get to work in it for all its hours. I am hoping that I'll feel better about what I write, and get better at it, and that I'll read something amazing and want to share it with everybody. I hope I get to run reading or writing groups with other people hanging out in the same space. I hope there's cake. I'll bring cake. Maybe we'll all bring cake.

Whatever it brings I wish you the best. I wish you warm socks and laughter, and comfort in your skin. Also, I recommend mulled gin (we got ours from Booths) and cloudy apple juice, and mince pie brownies from Love Brownies (or make your own). 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Gutter

It was lovely to be invited to do an interview with the marvellous Gutter magazine in the light of my poem, Bending to Nightbreak , being published (in fabulous company) in issue 27. Here's a couple of pics they shared on Instagram from it - a picture of me, and a quote. You can find the whole interview, and one with Simon Wade too, here . 

A wee update

  Hello! Thought I'd give you a wee update on how things are going in my world! Little Gods came out with Roswell Press at the end of September 2023 and I was really busy for the first bit of October, reading poems from the new book at various local events. I'm really grateful for all the books people bought, but there's still copies available, either online via Amazon  for Kindle or in paperback, or you can get in touch with me at caralmckee (at) gmail (dot) com to get a signed copy of Little Gods and/or First Kiss sent to you in the post! After my reading frenzy at the beginning of October I took a little break for a birthday celebration frenzy (it's still going on, there's a lot to celebrate). I've been meaning to read a couple of poems online too, but I'm having a flare of trigeminal neuralgia which is triggered by talking, so that will come when it comes. I'm hoping to read at the Scottish Writer's Centre launch of their new Mountain & Glen

Chapbook number two is coming!

  Great news today as I'm working on a new chapbook coming soon with Roswell Publishing. This is all I'm going to show you right now - my beautiful notebook, picked up at the Bronte Parsonage Museum in Haworth, on my last ever day out with my Mum. This notebook is full of mostly glued in, revised, scribbled on and annotated poems, some of which are going in to the new wee collection with Roswell. Why did I want to work with Roswell Publishing for this collection? I was following Rae on Instagram because I'd seen her pop up in some other writerly stuff I was interested in, and she seemed to be working with a load of writers I am currently obsessed with - like Claire Askew, Kate Garrett, and Alice Tarbuck for example, so when I saw she was calling for submissions, I went for it. She's been such a joy to work with so far, and I look forward to being able to tell you more about my second chapbook! Find out more about Roswell Publishing on their website , or head over to the