Skip to main content

Bookish


The above quote comes from a writing exercise provided by the Glasgow Women's Library at their most recent, online, Open the Door event. The exercises were inspired by the work of Muriel Spark who was born 100 years ago, so I'm guessing it is a quote from one of her works. 

This is from the first exercise. You have to use one of the quotes provided to start a story, and just keep going until you're done. You can have a go too, you'll find the exercises here.

This is mine (with links to The Literary Gift Company and Etsy stores to buy the things in my imagined shop). Let me know if you do one of the exercises too, I'd love to see it.



Bookish

Her ambition was to open a village shop and sell ceramics and transparent scarves, small stones with 'joy' engraved into them. Those things that nobody needs so everybody will surely buy... Or better yet, a shop tacked on to the little village library whose shelves are dressed in untouched books, while the librarian keeps somewhere hidden about her person stacks of the latest Lee Child, Lucinda Riley, Jojo Moyes, to be read in two weeks and returned to her. She would know where they'd go from there. Yes, a shop tacked on the side, not to disturb the librarian, but to sell scarves, printed with the pages of War and Peace, Clockwork Orange socks, Handmaid's Tale earrings, Lord of the Rings cufflinks, more. She would have the quietest coffee machine to be found and deep green sofas, scattered with cushions - the Brontes, Shakespeare, Austen, Byron - all would have a place in her shop. Every morning, somebody else (someone she had yet to conjure) would bring her scones generous as breasts, which she would split and toast for her customers, tidying the crumbs with a discreet Ewbank. Over her fireplace (filled with a bookcase of orange and red spined second hand books - the kind you thought you'd never find again) would be a large poster of the redacted Penguin cover of Nineteen Eighty Four, and she would call the shop Bookish.

She would have a shop cat, Virginia, who would sleep in the sun on a cushion on the windowsill, and she herself would wear shoes handcrafted in vegan leather, long colourful earrings and short punky hair, and on her Isolde Roth dress she would wear an enamel pin badge declaring 'BOOKISH.'

She would be trying to work her way through all the Virago Modern Classics but never getting past Frost in May because of all the friends she would make and all the busyness, and in this way, she was sure, she would barely need to make her way back to that place that had been home, that had had the heart leave it and leave it and leave it. In fact, little by little, she could perhaps take that place, that mother she had been, apart, close it down and go back again to how she'd been in her girlhood, before she'd needed to be things for others and could just be what she was for herself, totally, happily, bookish.


_________________________________________

I loved imagining that shop. I could picture it as a place to meet friends for coffee and those scones, inspired by the ones you get in Nardinis in Largs at breakfast time. Lush. I cannot imagine dismantling my own motherhood though, I imagine I'm the type that'll be picking up my grandchildren and making them playdoh which smells a bit funny. I want to know more about that character, and why she's unbuilding herself. Maybe I'll find her again. What do you think her name might be?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A wee update

  Hello! Thought I'd give you a wee update on how things are going in my world! Little Gods came out with Roswell Press at the end of September 2023 and I was really busy for the first bit of October, reading poems from the new book at various local events. I'm really grateful for all the books people bought, but there's still copies available, either online via Amazon  for Kindle or in paperback, or you can get in touch with me at caralmckee (at) gmail (dot) com to get a signed copy of Little Gods and/or First Kiss sent to you in the post! After my reading frenzy at the beginning of October I took a little break for a birthday celebration frenzy (it's still going on, there's a lot to celebrate). I've been meaning to read a couple of poems online too, but I'm having a flare of trigeminal neuralgia which is triggered by talking, so that will come when it comes. I'm hoping to read at the Scottish Writer's Centre launch of their new Mountain & Glen

Interview with Gutter

It was lovely to be invited to do an interview with the marvellous Gutter magazine in the light of my poem, Bending to Nightbreak , being published (in fabulous company) in issue 27. Here's a couple of pics they shared on Instagram from it - a picture of me, and a quote. You can find the whole interview, and one with Simon Wade too, here . 

Chapbook number two is coming!

  Great news today as I'm working on a new chapbook coming soon with Roswell Publishing. This is all I'm going to show you right now - my beautiful notebook, picked up at the Bronte Parsonage Museum in Haworth, on my last ever day out with my Mum. This notebook is full of mostly glued in, revised, scribbled on and annotated poems, some of which are going in to the new wee collection with Roswell. Why did I want to work with Roswell Publishing for this collection? I was following Rae on Instagram because I'd seen her pop up in some other writerly stuff I was interested in, and she seemed to be working with a load of writers I am currently obsessed with - like Claire Askew, Kate Garrett, and Alice Tarbuck for example, so when I saw she was calling for submissions, I went for it. She's been such a joy to work with so far, and I look forward to being able to tell you more about my second chapbook! Find out more about Roswell Publishing on their website , or head over to the