Skip to main content

Take: a poetry post


Hello!

It's November and I'm doing NaNoWriMo, which for those that aren't involved in this crazy world of writing means that I'm trying to write the first draft of a whole novel in one month.

Some people have finished already. Somebody allegedly finished in the first 24 hours. Imagine that! I'm hoping that slow and steady wins the race for me. I'm trying to get more than my target words of 1,667 words a day written, and so far, after a glitchy first day, I am doing just grand. 

The novel I'm writing is a reworking of my first Chaptershill book which I first wrote a while ago, but then realised it was fatally flawed. If you recall I had a meltdown last year about what was wrong with it - that it was infested with the worms of other fantasy, much of which is uncritical of patriarchal culture, and that I couldn't buy into that in good conscience. Besides which, it didn't work for the story. I tried amending the story but it was so riddled with all the nonsense that I had to rewrite. Same characters, some of the same plot points, but different ways to get there.

It's good. It's interesting. It is difficult. And right now I'm doing a really tricky bit which is slow and awkward and needs to be linked in with lots of other stuff, and I know that it's not great, but it's a first draft and that's OK.

And anyway, that's where I've been.

But I need some headspace too, so I thought I'd give Sara's Prompt a go this week and write a poem. I never really got the point of list poems until recently, although my Mother in Law likes them, but when I was down in Ilkley for the Literature Festival I got to go to a poetry workshop with Daljit Nagra, where we did list poems, and that's really got me thinking about them. I need more practice, and so that's what I'm doing. My Red poem was a list poem, and so is Take. 

Take

Take your life.
I'll take yours and
you take mine
and please, take your time.
Take your glasses,
take a seat,
take thy hand,
to lawful wedded.
Take a walk,
take a left, take a right.
Take it easy,
take a chill,
take a shuftie.
Take take take,
but don't be respectable.
Take two.
Take five.
Take the piss,
take the Michael,
take the Piemontello,
take the biscuit.
Take the high way,
take the low way
(I'll get there before ye).
Take my hand and hold on
for dear life.
Take this life - 
I'll take yours 
and you take mine.
We'll take our time.


© Cara L McKee 13/11/16




Prose for Thoughtmumturnedmom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A wee update

  Hello! Thought I'd give you a wee update on how things are going in my world! Little Gods came out with Roswell Press at the end of September 2023 and I was really busy for the first bit of October, reading poems from the new book at various local events. I'm really grateful for all the books people bought, but there's still copies available, either online via Amazon  for Kindle or in paperback, or you can get in touch with me at caralmckee (at) gmail (dot) com to get a signed copy of Little Gods and/or First Kiss sent to you in the post! After my reading frenzy at the beginning of October I took a little break for a birthday celebration frenzy (it's still going on, there's a lot to celebrate). I've been meaning to read a couple of poems online too, but I'm having a flare of trigeminal neuralgia which is triggered by talking, so that will come when it comes. I'm hoping to read at the Scottish Writer's Centre launch of their new Mountain & Glen

Interview with Gutter

It was lovely to be invited to do an interview with the marvellous Gutter magazine in the light of my poem, Bending to Nightbreak , being published (in fabulous company) in issue 27. Here's a couple of pics they shared on Instagram from it - a picture of me, and a quote. You can find the whole interview, and one with Simon Wade too, here . 

Chapbook number two is coming!

  Great news today as I'm working on a new chapbook coming soon with Roswell Publishing. This is all I'm going to show you right now - my beautiful notebook, picked up at the Bronte Parsonage Museum in Haworth, on my last ever day out with my Mum. This notebook is full of mostly glued in, revised, scribbled on and annotated poems, some of which are going in to the new wee collection with Roswell. Why did I want to work with Roswell Publishing for this collection? I was following Rae on Instagram because I'd seen her pop up in some other writerly stuff I was interested in, and she seemed to be working with a load of writers I am currently obsessed with - like Claire Askew, Kate Garrett, and Alice Tarbuck for example, so when I saw she was calling for submissions, I went for it. She's been such a joy to work with so far, and I look forward to being able to tell you more about my second chapbook! Find out more about Roswell Publishing on their website , or head over to the