Skip to main content

Return: A poetry post


I've been away for such a long time! My last post was about a month ago, and was written when I thought that Katsuma was going to die. I was so incredibly worried about him, and I'm happy to report that he has pulled through that crisis, although he is still a very sick cat. He is now on lots of medication for his heart disease, and he is no longer capable of living the life he previously lived. But I think he's still content. He gets ever so much love, and I know he wishes he could still go out and kill things, but lying in any possible patch of sun comes a close second. He's never going to be fully better, and at some point another crisis will come, and that is when we will stop, because he's done amazingly well, he's walking again and everything, but I wouldn't want to see him go through such a terrible time again.

Anyway, what have I been doing to keep myself away for so long? Lots of poems. I have been writing away, with so many ideas that I'm getting lots of half poems to come back to later. I've been submitting things and getting rejected, and, occasionally, accepted, and it's all going along well enough. My rose book is currently also being rejected in various places, and I've made a few tweaks to that along the way, so that is going along fine as well. In addition to this I've been working with a local writing group to collate their upcoming anthology, which has such a marvellously eclectic selection of stuff in it, including a poem from a really good poet with Parkinson's which eloquently conveys his frustration with the time it takes for him to communicate verbally. I can't quite get over that poem. And a prose piece from a child's point of view about her parent's selfishness during their divorce, which brilliantly makes you side with the mother, even while the child is railing against her. Anyway, as you can gather, other people's work from that was taking over my mind, so today I have returned to my own work, and am using one of the poems I've half written this week inspired by Sara's prompt: Return

I've been so inspired by this prompt, writing poems about failing to leave home, and about my 'interesting' experiences with living on a certain island, but I've not been able to finish any of them. I am going into too much detail, and losing track of what I'm trying to say. Do I know what I am trying to say?

The one that I am sharing was half written in the middle of the night after settling my youngest, incredibly wilful (which is a pain in the butt to live with but I admire anyway) child, again. I know what I'm trying to say in it, but I am also feeling really negative about my body after getting grief in public for being fat the other day, and just not having any resilience at the moment. So I am using the first two stanzas, and making up the rest right now, to share with you for The Prompt, Prose for Thought, and for What I'm Writing. Triple Whammy!

Anyway, I told you I was talking too much and losing the thread, so enough waffle, I shall poem at you.



Return

From my body she was cut
in blood and drama
of flashing lights.
One sweltering night
when my body could take no more.

To my body she returned
for hard-earned sustenance.
My body reluctant
in shock and pain,
yet yielding to her needs again.

And each time she takes a step
in ability, in confidence,
she returns to my body
to check that I'm still here.

Her young body, strong and fit,
no longer needs a hand
to hold. To lift her up.
And yet, in small, dark hours,
my body is her safe space.

My soft and failing body
has arms to hold her,
lips to kiss her,
a scent that reassures,
that when she returns
I am still here.


© Cara L McKee 8/9/16

Having nipped to the loo early this morning, I came out to find Miss 6 'reading' my notebook, in my bed. She was on the page of this poem, and said she thought I'd done it very well, which was very sweet of her, considering I'd written it in the dark, and could barely make it out myself!





mumturnedmomProse for ThoughtWriting Bubble

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A wee update

  Hello! Thought I'd give you a wee update on how things are going in my world! Little Gods came out with Roswell Press at the end of September 2023 and I was really busy for the first bit of October, reading poems from the new book at various local events. I'm really grateful for all the books people bought, but there's still copies available, either online via Amazon  for Kindle or in paperback, or you can get in touch with me at caralmckee (at) gmail (dot) com to get a signed copy of Little Gods and/or First Kiss sent to you in the post! After my reading frenzy at the beginning of October I took a little break for a birthday celebration frenzy (it's still going on, there's a lot to celebrate). I've been meaning to read a couple of poems online too, but I'm having a flare of trigeminal neuralgia which is triggered by talking, so that will come when it comes. I'm hoping to read at the Scottish Writer's Centre launch of their new Mountain & Glen

Chapbook number two is coming!

  Great news today as I'm working on a new chapbook coming soon with Roswell Publishing. This is all I'm going to show you right now - my beautiful notebook, picked up at the Bronte Parsonage Museum in Haworth, on my last ever day out with my Mum. This notebook is full of mostly glued in, revised, scribbled on and annotated poems, some of which are going in to the new wee collection with Roswell. Why did I want to work with Roswell Publishing for this collection? I was following Rae on Instagram because I'd seen her pop up in some other writerly stuff I was interested in, and she seemed to be working with a load of writers I am currently obsessed with - like Claire Askew, Kate Garrett, and Alice Tarbuck for example, so when I saw she was calling for submissions, I went for it. She's been such a joy to work with so far, and I look forward to being able to tell you more about my second chapbook! Find out more about Roswell Publishing on their website , or head over to the

Happy New Year!

I can still wish you happy new year before January's out, right? Having spending a while doing research and convincing myself I can't write, I'm back in the room in 2019, sending my little baby poems out into the world. I have broken up the chapbook I was trying to get published, I've rewritten lots of stuff, and I'm happily sending them out to places where I hope they might find a happy home, while supporting some of the fantastic poetry magazines out there. One of those fantastic poetry magazines - Picaroon Poetry  - run by the marvellous Kate Garrett - has already accepted one of my babies. It was one of the ones that I'd started to feel bored by, so I tore it to bits, rewrote it, and sent it off to Kate, who will be sending it out into the world in Picaroon Poetry #16 in May (which is terribly organised if you ask me, I don't even know what I'm doing tomorrow!). Thanks Kate!  Hopefully I'll be letting you all know about more successes soo