Skip to main content

reading these blogs: 2015 edit

Things change fast in the blogosphere. The blogs that are available, and the ones that catch my fancy come and go, so I thought it was about time I updated this post from last year, to tell you about five of my favourite blogs taken from my Bloglovin' feed now.

What are your favourites? 

First up (just because it came up first in my Bloglovin' feed) is the Authonomy Blog from Harper Collins. I love The Quotidian pieces which offer quotes from writers, mainly on writing. They're inspirational, and just long enough to set the mind racing, without having to do someting about it straight away.  This quote from Neil Gaiman was there just the other day:


"All writers have this vague hope that the elves will come in the night and finish any stories."
- Neil Gaiman

Talking of Neil Gaiman, I am obsessed with him at the moment. I am delighted that he and Amanda Palmer are expecting a baby, and wonder what it must feel like to be such an incredible 'it' couple. Neil is articulate, beautiful, has an awesome voice, and the boy can write. His blog is a good read, and you'll find it here.

I'm a recent recruit to Elisa Blaha Cripe's blog, enJoy it. Elise is a crafty type, living in California, where she has a business selling homemade stuff. I find her style fun, approachable, and totally inspiring. She has lots of advice on how to achieve your goals, and she is brimful of ideas. There is plenty of output, so not needing to know all of it is fine. Which is an odd thing to say, but honestly check her out.


Chantelle Elem's blog, Fat Mum Slim is firmly ensconced in my top five. I still love doing the Photo a Day challenge, although I realise I'm never going to be as good as some of my friends (Sheila - your photos are amazing), and that's a shame. 

Fat Mum Slim is also my go-to for blogging, photography, and social media advice. It's an awesome blog, and Chantelle comes across as a pretty awesome woman.

I am completely obsessed with George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire Series, and HBOs Game of Thrones. I love fantasy, and I love history, so the blog History behind Game of Thrones is just fabulous for me. It has well written pieces from lots of good contributors, and it keeps 'em coming, always up to the minute, which is pretty impressive for a history blog. At the moment there's quite a lot about Richard III, as he is being reinterred this week. Richard III is one of my favourite English Kings (I don't think he did it), and he has inspired one of my favourite characters in the book I'm writing (he probably did do it, but I'm hoping he'll get away with it).

So that's five. I hope you found something you liked from this. I'd love to know what your favourite blogs are?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A wee update

  Hello! Thought I'd give you a wee update on how things are going in my world! Little Gods came out with Roswell Press at the end of September 2023 and I was really busy for the first bit of October, reading poems from the new book at various local events. I'm really grateful for all the books people bought, but there's still copies available, either online via Amazon  for Kindle or in paperback, or you can get in touch with me at caralmckee (at) gmail (dot) com to get a signed copy of Little Gods and/or First Kiss sent to you in the post! After my reading frenzy at the beginning of October I took a little break for a birthday celebration frenzy (it's still going on, there's a lot to celebrate). I've been meaning to read a couple of poems online too, but I'm having a flare of trigeminal neuralgia which is triggered by talking, so that will come when it comes. I'm hoping to read at the Scottish Writer's Centre launch of their new Mountain & Glen

Interview with Gutter

It was lovely to be invited to do an interview with the marvellous Gutter magazine in the light of my poem, Bending to Nightbreak , being published (in fabulous company) in issue 27. Here's a couple of pics they shared on Instagram from it - a picture of me, and a quote. You can find the whole interview, and one with Simon Wade too, here . 

Chapbook number two is coming!

  Great news today as I'm working on a new chapbook coming soon with Roswell Publishing. This is all I'm going to show you right now - my beautiful notebook, picked up at the Bronte Parsonage Museum in Haworth, on my last ever day out with my Mum. This notebook is full of mostly glued in, revised, scribbled on and annotated poems, some of which are going in to the new wee collection with Roswell. Why did I want to work with Roswell Publishing for this collection? I was following Rae on Instagram because I'd seen her pop up in some other writerly stuff I was interested in, and she seemed to be working with a load of writers I am currently obsessed with - like Claire Askew, Kate Garrett, and Alice Tarbuck for example, so when I saw she was calling for submissions, I went for it. She's been such a joy to work with so far, and I look forward to being able to tell you more about my second chapbook! Find out more about Roswell Publishing on their website , or head over to the