Skip to main content

discovering Iain Crichton Smith

I think I don't like poetry. In fact I'm pretty sure. What I like is a brick of a book with well rounded characters, who can take me on a journey with them. I find that for me poetry can be navel gazing, twee nonsense, so caught up in its clever cleverness that it drives me to distraction.

But then again, I like lots of songs for their lyrics, and sometimes, just sometimes, I come across some poetry which just blows me away.

I came across Iain Crichton Smith recently at my writing group. I live in Scotland, and the other members of the group were all saying that Smith is so much covered in Scottish English (and Gaelic) classes that people don't tend to notice the beauty of his poetry.

I didn't go to school in Scotland. The poets I studied at school were people like Wordsworth, Shakespeare, Shelley. I don't recall ever coming across anything like this. That said, I'm not sure that as a teenager I would have noticed it. Perhaps you have to have some inkling of the subject matter to get it. Perhaps. 

We have homework set about two poems, and I have to leave the group early to pick my daughter up from nursery, so I hadn't managed to get the two poems. The next time I went I asked someone with an overflowing folder if he had a copy I could photograph. He had a spare copy and gave it to me instead. Which was great, because I've been writing all over it. Well, over this one anyway. There is another one. That one annoys me.

Anyway, I took the spare copy, and while we were on a break, I took the chance to read through it. I couldn't just read it though, there is so much beauty in this poem, and so much texture to the words that it cries out to be spoken. So I spoke it. And I cried.

I adore this poem, and I feel cheated that I didn't know about Iain Crichton Smith before. Here is the poem, first... then there will be some information about Mr Crichton Smith.

YOU ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF MY MIND 

Without my knowing it you are at the bottom of my mind
like a visitor to the bottom of the sea
with his helmet and his two large eyes
and I do not rightly know your appearance or your manner
after five years of showers*
of time pouring between me and you: 
nameless mountains of water pouring
between me hauling you on board
and your appearance and your manner in my weak hands.
You went astray
among the mysterious plants of the sea-bed
in the green half-light without love, 
and you will never rise to the surfacethough my hands are hauling ceaselesslyand I do not know your way at all,you in the half-light of your sleephaunting the bed of the sea without ceasing
and I hauling and hauling on the surface.
                                                                                 Iain Crichton Smith

Iain Crichton Smith was a Scottish 'man of letters' - he wrote fiction as well as poems, and wrote beautifully in both English and Gaelic. He was born in 1928 in Glasgow, but moved to the Isle of Lewis as an infant, with his mother and brothers, after his father died. His mother brought them up on a widow's pension, and with strict Presbyterian beliefs. Iain did well at school, and as an adult became a teacher. He continued living with his mother until her death in 1969. He married in 1977, and also retired from teaching. He was a prolific writer, recognised with an OBE and three honorary doctorates. Gaelic was his first language, and when writing in Gaelic he used the Gaelic name Iain Mac a'Ghobhainn.


As I said, he writes beautifully in Gaelic as well. Here's 'the Bottom of my Mind' in Gaelic. I'm afraid I've only found the first verse, and that here:



“Gun fhios dhomh tha thu air m’aigeann m’inntinnMar fhear-tadhail grunnd na maraLe chlogaid ‘s a dhà shùil mhòir‘s chan aithne dhomh ceart t’fhiamh na do dhòighAn dèidh coig bliadhna shiantanTime dòrtadh eadar mise ‘s tu.”
There is a marvellous review of a new collection of Iain Crichton Smith's poems in the Guardian, here. And you can also find out more from the Scottish Poetry Library, and the BBC

Comments

  1. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5sgzm4rLs2fSKNFhRdwNg6/tha-thu-air-aigeann-m-inntinn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A wee update

  Hello! Thought I'd give you a wee update on how things are going in my world! Little Gods came out with Roswell Press at the end of September 2023 and I was really busy for the first bit of October, reading poems from the new book at various local events. I'm really grateful for all the books people bought, but there's still copies available, either online via Amazon  for Kindle or in paperback, or you can get in touch with me at caralmckee (at) gmail (dot) com to get a signed copy of Little Gods and/or First Kiss sent to you in the post! After my reading frenzy at the beginning of October I took a little break for a birthday celebration frenzy (it's still going on, there's a lot to celebrate). I've been meaning to read a couple of poems online too, but I'm having a flare of trigeminal neuralgia which is triggered by talking, so that will come when it comes. I'm hoping to read at the Scottish Writer's Centre launch of their new Mountain & Glen

Chapbook number two is coming!

  Great news today as I'm working on a new chapbook coming soon with Roswell Publishing. This is all I'm going to show you right now - my beautiful notebook, picked up at the Bronte Parsonage Museum in Haworth, on my last ever day out with my Mum. This notebook is full of mostly glued in, revised, scribbled on and annotated poems, some of which are going in to the new wee collection with Roswell. Why did I want to work with Roswell Publishing for this collection? I was following Rae on Instagram because I'd seen her pop up in some other writerly stuff I was interested in, and she seemed to be working with a load of writers I am currently obsessed with - like Claire Askew, Kate Garrett, and Alice Tarbuck for example, so when I saw she was calling for submissions, I went for it. She's been such a joy to work with so far, and I look forward to being able to tell you more about my second chapbook! Find out more about Roswell Publishing on their website , or head over to the

Interview with Gutter

It was lovely to be invited to do an interview with the marvellous Gutter magazine in the light of my poem, Bending to Nightbreak , being published (in fabulous company) in issue 27. Here's a couple of pics they shared on Instagram from it - a picture of me, and a quote. You can find the whole interview, and one with Simon Wade too, here .