Skip to main content

writing

I went on a writing day today.  It's nice to be able to devote the whole day to it, although I wish more writing had been involved, and less talking.


My small notebook.  And some wine,
because it's Friday.
The woman leading it said that writing a letter is an act of creation (which I've heard in a few places recently), and that if we want to write other stuff, then we should buy some nice stationery and have a small notebook to carry around at all times and a big notebook for when we really want to concentrate on writing.

Meh.

I do have a small notebook.  I use it when I haven't got wifi, or when I'm with people who might think it's rude of me to start doing stuff on my 'phone in front of them.  Stuff that gets written in the notebook sometimes makes it out into other formats.

Sometimes it doesn't.

I don't have a big notebook.  I have a folder, with lots of random bits of paper shoved in it.

If I'm doing proper writing (check me out - 'proper' writing) then I prefer to type - it's faster, so my thoughts can flow better.  If I'm writing a short story or an article, I just do it in Open Office (I can't stand Word, so I don't have it).  If I'm working on the book, then that's in Scrivener, because it helps me work out what I'm doing.  If I'm jotting down ideas for a poem, a story, or a blog post, then that goes into Evernote.  Via my 'phone if I'm out and about, or on my tablet, if it's around bedtime.

I knew a lad once who had his ENTIRE PhD written down in pen on paper, and was carrying it into University in his backpack, when he got mugged.  The thieves stole his backpack, and ran off.  His wallet was in his pocket.  But three years of hard work were in his backpack.

Luckily, he had a lot of mates, mates who scoured the streets of Headingley looking for the backpack.  Eventually they found it, tossed on a bonfire.  A bonfire which had not yet, thank goodness, been lit.  It was a bit messed up, but it was alright.

There is no way I would leave anything as important as a book on paper.  But I do like writing letters, and I really like receiving them (especially the ones from my Mum - they're awesome).

What about you?  Do you use a notebook?  Do you write letters?  What do you put down on paper? 

Other posts you might like:


The book challenge
Words at 3/6/14 - 82,500.  
43,000 words done since the challenge began, 11,500 last month.
Where I'm at in First Draft - Chapter 20.
What I did last - the heroine having breakfast with her Mum.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A wee update

  Hello! Thought I'd give you a wee update on how things are going in my world! Little Gods came out with Roswell Press at the end of September 2023 and I was really busy for the first bit of October, reading poems from the new book at various local events. I'm really grateful for all the books people bought, but there's still copies available, either online via Amazon  for Kindle or in paperback, or you can get in touch with me at caralmckee (at) gmail (dot) com to get a signed copy of Little Gods and/or First Kiss sent to you in the post! After my reading frenzy at the beginning of October I took a little break for a birthday celebration frenzy (it's still going on, there's a lot to celebrate). I've been meaning to read a couple of poems online too, but I'm having a flare of trigeminal neuralgia which is triggered by talking, so that will come when it comes. I'm hoping to read at the Scottish Writer's Centre launch of their new Mountain & Glen

Chapbook number two is coming!

  Great news today as I'm working on a new chapbook coming soon with Roswell Publishing. This is all I'm going to show you right now - my beautiful notebook, picked up at the Bronte Parsonage Museum in Haworth, on my last ever day out with my Mum. This notebook is full of mostly glued in, revised, scribbled on and annotated poems, some of which are going in to the new wee collection with Roswell. Why did I want to work with Roswell Publishing for this collection? I was following Rae on Instagram because I'd seen her pop up in some other writerly stuff I was interested in, and she seemed to be working with a load of writers I am currently obsessed with - like Claire Askew, Kate Garrett, and Alice Tarbuck for example, so when I saw she was calling for submissions, I went for it. She's been such a joy to work with so far, and I look forward to being able to tell you more about my second chapbook! Find out more about Roswell Publishing on their website , or head over to the

Interview with Gutter

It was lovely to be invited to do an interview with the marvellous Gutter magazine in the light of my poem, Bending to Nightbreak , being published (in fabulous company) in issue 27. Here's a couple of pics they shared on Instagram from it - a picture of me, and a quote. You can find the whole interview, and one with Simon Wade too, here .