Skip to main content

in Tracey's tent

I know it's not a popular work of art, but this morning on the blogosphere I came across Tracey Emin's 1995 work of art, Everyone I Have Ever Slept With 1963-1995, otherwise known as 'the tent'.  Not the real one, of course.  That burnt down in 2004.  Just pictures.

I've popped some pictures here (taken from Wikipedia), so you know what I'm talking about, although they're not my pictures, so I hope Ms Emin and, indeed, the photographer, don't mind.

Lots of people have criticised Tracey's tent, which is harsh, if you ask me, because it's an incredibly well crafted and put together piece, and it's thought provoking too.

One of the thoughts the tent has provoked in people is 'blimey, she's slept with a lot of people'.  There are two points to note on this issue:
  1. The people whose names are inside the tent are all the people she's ever slept with.  So her Granny is in, while a guy she had sex with in a field (if such a thing happened) is out.
  2. Isn't that what it's about?  Our judgement about the number, and our sticking our collective noses into her tent to find out?
Alain de Botton defines snobbery as taking one tiny part of what makes up a person and using it to define them.  Check out his fabulous TED talk on success here (I watched it while researching my post on ambition).  For young women, a small part of their personality - i.e. the number of people they have sex with (and, speaking from personal experience, it doesn't actually have to be based in reality) is used to judge them as good women or bad women.  

This seems like a terribly old fashioned thing to say.  Surely we have grown out of this nonsense by now?  And yet it continues.  Now in the form of slut shaming.  Young women's sexuality is still perceived as requiring control, and women who have sex with multiple partners are criticised for it.  It is still the case that people think that if you give away the milk for free, no-one is going to want the cow.

Of course, this is ridiculous nonsense.  Women's bodies are their own, to do with as they wish.  My favourite thing in Emin's tent is that on the floor it says 'With myself, always myself, never forgetting'.  It really emphasises that this is her space, and her business.  If you choose to poke your nose into Tracey's business, you should accept her rules.  You can choose not to look, but once you look, and you see her Granny is in there as well as her lover, then you do not have the right to assume anything.

Apart from being ridiculous to judge a woman on the number of sexual partners she has, it is also impossible.  Women simply don't have a counting device strapped to their heads.  So what is really being judged is people's assumptions about the woman.  When I was young I had a very strong rule about not giving away the milk for free, and yet got given the nickname Cara the Unstoppable Sex Machine (thanks for that, whoever it was).  Meanwhile, another friend of mine, with a good reputation, was having sex left, right and centre, because she enjoyed it, and because it didn't matter.  She got away with it.  She clearly chose the right people.

Looking back now, I think maybe my rule was a little too rigid, and I could have cut myself some slack, and had some more fun.  That said, I'm happy with how things have turned out.  And my friend?  She's never expressed any regrets to me.

Back to the topic of Tracey's tent.  I also like that she has appliquéd the letters, because such needlework has a strong tradition amongst women.

Do you like Emin's work?  What do you think of the tent?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A wee update

  Hello! Thought I'd give you a wee update on how things are going in my world! Little Gods came out with Roswell Press at the end of September 2023 and I was really busy for the first bit of October, reading poems from the new book at various local events. I'm really grateful for all the books people bought, but there's still copies available, either online via Amazon  for Kindle or in paperback, or you can get in touch with me at caralmckee (at) gmail (dot) com to get a signed copy of Little Gods and/or First Kiss sent to you in the post! After my reading frenzy at the beginning of October I took a little break for a birthday celebration frenzy (it's still going on, there's a lot to celebrate). I've been meaning to read a couple of poems online too, but I'm having a flare of trigeminal neuralgia which is triggered by talking, so that will come when it comes. I'm hoping to read at the Scottish Writer's Centre launch of their new Mountain & Glen

Interview with Gutter

It was lovely to be invited to do an interview with the marvellous Gutter magazine in the light of my poem, Bending to Nightbreak , being published (in fabulous company) in issue 27. Here's a couple of pics they shared on Instagram from it - a picture of me, and a quote. You can find the whole interview, and one with Simon Wade too, here . 

Chapbook number two is coming!

  Great news today as I'm working on a new chapbook coming soon with Roswell Publishing. This is all I'm going to show you right now - my beautiful notebook, picked up at the Bronte Parsonage Museum in Haworth, on my last ever day out with my Mum. This notebook is full of mostly glued in, revised, scribbled on and annotated poems, some of which are going in to the new wee collection with Roswell. Why did I want to work with Roswell Publishing for this collection? I was following Rae on Instagram because I'd seen her pop up in some other writerly stuff I was interested in, and she seemed to be working with a load of writers I am currently obsessed with - like Claire Askew, Kate Garrett, and Alice Tarbuck for example, so when I saw she was calling for submissions, I went for it. She's been such a joy to work with so far, and I look forward to being able to tell you more about my second chapbook! Find out more about Roswell Publishing on their website , or head over to the