Skip to main content

meeting Robin Hobb

Yesterday I had some time off being a Mum and travelled into Glasgow to see Robin Hobb talking at Waterstones.  It was lovely to be able to go where I wanted, when I wanted, and to spend a good quantity of time reading (one of her books).

I must admit, I don't get on terribly well with Hobb's books.  The names of the characters annoy me (although that's my problem - they are completely in keeping with her world), and I don't like the magicy element (again, that's my problem - magic is, after all, to be expected in fantasy).  But the thing that really annoys me is that the central character has a familiar in the form of a wolf.  This of course happens in George RR Martin's books too, and I have no problems with the direwolves, but Hobb's Nighteyes (what a name) is much more doggy than the direwolves, and that's probably why it annoys me.  I cannot be doing with dogs.

All that said, I love the way Hobb shows you people's characters, and how they are feeling, by the way they live, and what surrounds them.  I also have immense respect for women who make it as fantasy authors, and Robin Hobb has certainly made it.  However, Robin is a pen name.  Her real name is Margaret Astrid Lindholm Ogden (ahh, Ogden - there was a lad called Ogden who was in Cider with Rosie with me, but sadly I was not Rosie).  So I wondered why she'd chosen a name usually thought of as a boy's name for her high fantasy?

I should note here, that most of Hobb's stories have been written under the pseudonym Megan Lindholm - clearly a girly name, but still not wholly hers.

I asked her.  Why did you choose the names Megan Lindholm and Robin Hobb, and why have two names?

She said that Lindholm is her maiden name (using your maiden name as a middle name is common practice in America, and I wish I'd thought of doing it), and she didn't want to be Margaret as it didn't fit well on the cover.  People call her Meggie, but she didn't want to be that, Maggie, or Peggy, or any of those things, as they seemed too frivolous, so she settled on Megan.  Megan Lindholm writes all sorts of long form and short form stories in lots of fantasy and sci fi genres.

When she started out writing the books set in the Six Duchies, she was getting into a new genre for her: epic fantasy or high fantasy.  Her publisher wanted her to use a different name, and suggested an androgynous name would be useful because that would help readers to understand her book being from the main, male character's point of view.

She had a think about it.  She went and had a look at some book shops to see what might be a good name.  She noticed that the H's were at eye level, so she decided to be a H.  She chose Hobb because it could be nice and big on the front cover, and because it brought to mind hobbits and hobgoblins, as well as hobs.  She chose Robin because it sounded good, and because it brought to mind Robin Hood.  But also because it looked good on the page.  She didn't mention choosing an androgynous name to boost sales.  She'd already done well as Megan Lindholm, but she did brilliantly as Robin Hobb.

So I've been wondering, if you were an author, what kind of books would you write, and what name would you use?  I'd like to write high fantasy myself, and I have no idea what I'd call myself.  Cara R McKee?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A wee update

  Hello! Thought I'd give you a wee update on how things are going in my world! Little Gods came out with Roswell Press at the end of September 2023 and I was really busy for the first bit of October, reading poems from the new book at various local events. I'm really grateful for all the books people bought, but there's still copies available, either online via Amazon  for Kindle or in paperback, or you can get in touch with me at caralmckee (at) gmail (dot) com to get a signed copy of Little Gods and/or First Kiss sent to you in the post! After my reading frenzy at the beginning of October I took a little break for a birthday celebration frenzy (it's still going on, there's a lot to celebrate). I've been meaning to read a couple of poems online too, but I'm having a flare of trigeminal neuralgia which is triggered by talking, so that will come when it comes. I'm hoping to read at the Scottish Writer's Centre launch of their new Mountain & Glen

Interview with Gutter

It was lovely to be invited to do an interview with the marvellous Gutter magazine in the light of my poem, Bending to Nightbreak , being published (in fabulous company) in issue 27. Here's a couple of pics they shared on Instagram from it - a picture of me, and a quote. You can find the whole interview, and one with Simon Wade too, here . 

Chapbook number two is coming!

  Great news today as I'm working on a new chapbook coming soon with Roswell Publishing. This is all I'm going to show you right now - my beautiful notebook, picked up at the Bronte Parsonage Museum in Haworth, on my last ever day out with my Mum. This notebook is full of mostly glued in, revised, scribbled on and annotated poems, some of which are going in to the new wee collection with Roswell. Why did I want to work with Roswell Publishing for this collection? I was following Rae on Instagram because I'd seen her pop up in some other writerly stuff I was interested in, and she seemed to be working with a load of writers I am currently obsessed with - like Claire Askew, Kate Garrett, and Alice Tarbuck for example, so when I saw she was calling for submissions, I went for it. She's been such a joy to work with so far, and I look forward to being able to tell you more about my second chapbook! Find out more about Roswell Publishing on their website , or head over to the