Skip to main content

Important Poems

Lately I have been listening and re-listening to Joe Dunthorne's After I have written my important poem' on the A Poem a Week podcast. You'll find the episode here. In the poem Joe discusses ideas for poems that he'll write after he's written his important poem, which I find wildly, and joyfully optimistic (he is also really confident about capturing his reader's interest, which I also find fabulous). This poem is from Joe's pamphlet, published by Faber and Faber, O Positive, which I highly recommend. I'd lend you my copy, but I've lent it to someone.

Anyway, Joe has got me thinking about important poems, and what makes them important. My first thoughts about what's officially important is the stuff we teach our children - mainly old (preferably dead) white guy's poems. Having spent January and some of February supporting my nine year old daughter in memorising a poem by Robert Burns (she got through to the Cronies, and got a certificate - you'll only understand this if you've encountered Scottish childhood) I am not feeling this theory. My daughter had to memorise Robert Burns' poem Willie Wastle, which you can find here if you want, but I wouldn't bother, it's a misogynistic roast poem which doesn't even have the grace to name its victim, and tbh I'm horrified that this is the kind of thing our schools are telling people is our culture. I am not saying that Burns was not a great poet, but he was also a philandering man of his time, and it often shows. Surely there is something else that we can call important?

So let's ask another question, what's important to me? I've been thinking about it and here is my entirely subjective current (likely to change tomorrow) top 5:

FIVE

  • After I have written my important poem by Joe Dunthorne, for giving me the idea.

FOUR

  • Wild Geese - by Mary Oliver (she's reading it in the video embedded below). This is in a frame on top of my desk. If I ever got to go on The Poetry Exchange podcast I would choose this as the poem that had been a friend to me. I've not known it very long, but it feels like it's always been there for me. It's very American, in its spaciousness and with its prairies, but the pebbles of the rain certainly speak to me on the west coast of Scotland. I love that sharing our despairs is normal, I love that she starts from not having to be good. That should be a school motto.



THREE

  • Cimex Lectularius by Jacqueline Saphra, from her book All My Mad Mothers, published by Nine Arches Press. I can't find this online anymore I'm afraid, but it's worth getting the book. I love the way she seems to be rambling on in it, but uses key turns of phrase to move from one thing to another, looping back, casually mentioning things which end up seeming important. This poem has helped me to write better.

TWO

  • Black Marilyn by Theresa Lola, I read it in The Guardian, and Theresa shared it on Twitter, click on the link to see the whole thing. Theresa is the Young People's Laureate of London, and this poem shares her subjective experience of things we were all told we weren't supposed to talk about, but we really are, and people are getting that now, thank goodness. This is the stuff that people used to tell women they couldn't be as good as men because they were too subjective. The personal is political though, whoever you are, what we look like is really important, whoever we are. This poem is worth reading and rereading, and taking to bits and having an argument with. Love it. 

ONE 

  • American Sonnet for My Past and Future Assassin [But there never was a black male hysteria] by Terrance Hayes, from the book of the same title. You'll find this poem here. It is so hard to pick a single poem from this marvellous book, which reinvigorates the sonnet form, thoroughly explores the state of the American nation (it was published in 2018), and works beautifully with interweaving themes from one poem to another throughout the bookwhich features seventy sonnets with the same title. This one in particular has made me think about the stories we've been told and end up retelling ourselves. It's challenging and welcoming, and dares us into radical compassion. 

What are the poems that are important to you?

I like my version of important poems better than the more traditional one. Hopefully one of the poems that are piled up waiting to be improved on my desk, or one of the ones that's already made its way out into the world (more info on where to find my poetry here) will be an important poem for someone. I should maybe go work on those, but first...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A wee update

  Hello! Thought I'd give you a wee update on how things are going in my world! Little Gods came out with Roswell Press at the end of September 2023 and I was really busy for the first bit of October, reading poems from the new book at various local events. I'm really grateful for all the books people bought, but there's still copies available, either online via Amazon  for Kindle or in paperback, or you can get in touch with me at caralmckee (at) gmail (dot) com to get a signed copy of Little Gods and/or First Kiss sent to you in the post! After my reading frenzy at the beginning of October I took a little break for a birthday celebration frenzy (it's still going on, there's a lot to celebrate). I've been meaning to read a couple of poems online too, but I'm having a flare of trigeminal neuralgia which is triggered by talking, so that will come when it comes. I'm hoping to read at the Scottish Writer's Centre launch of their new Mountain & Glen

Interview with Gutter

It was lovely to be invited to do an interview with the marvellous Gutter magazine in the light of my poem, Bending to Nightbreak , being published (in fabulous company) in issue 27. Here's a couple of pics they shared on Instagram from it - a picture of me, and a quote. You can find the whole interview, and one with Simon Wade too, here . 

Chapbook number two is coming!

  Great news today as I'm working on a new chapbook coming soon with Roswell Publishing. This is all I'm going to show you right now - my beautiful notebook, picked up at the Bronte Parsonage Museum in Haworth, on my last ever day out with my Mum. This notebook is full of mostly glued in, revised, scribbled on and annotated poems, some of which are going in to the new wee collection with Roswell. Why did I want to work with Roswell Publishing for this collection? I was following Rae on Instagram because I'd seen her pop up in some other writerly stuff I was interested in, and she seemed to be working with a load of writers I am currently obsessed with - like Claire Askew, Kate Garrett, and Alice Tarbuck for example, so when I saw she was calling for submissions, I went for it. She's been such a joy to work with so far, and I look forward to being able to tell you more about my second chapbook! Find out more about Roswell Publishing on their website , or head over to the