Skip to main content

reviewing Dangerous Women

I'm afraid I'm well behind the times with this one... so behind in fact that I thought briefly that I shouldn't bother saying anything.

However, this book really bugged me.


This is a book of short stories with the central theme of 'dangerous women', which is basically cobbled together in order to piggyback some other authors onto the current success of George RR Martin, who has one of his World of Ice and Fire novellas in here.  I got it because of the George RR Martin story, and I did enjoy some of the other authors. I welcome the chance to find new stuff to read (despite the length of my 'to read' list). I don't even mind that I don't like some of the stories, however, some of these stories are just shite. Some of the women aren't dangerous; they're barely even characters, and they drag an otherwise good book down.


I've been through the stories so you don't have to.
  1. Some Desperado by Joe Abercrombie. A great Western style story with an impressive dangerous woman, name of Shy.
  2. My Heart is Either Broken by Megan Abbott. A really good story with a genuine dangerous woman, but mainly with misunderstandings, mistrust, and a horrible man. Also, that is an amazing title.
  3. Nora's Song by Cecilia Holland. I'm a fan of this historical period and so did enjoy this short story. Eleanor of Aquitaine can certainly be considered dangerous. Although Beckett might wish to suggest her husband more so.
  4. The Hands That Are Not There by Melinda Snodgrass is not a story I particularly like, but there is a dangerous woman at the heart of this tale.
  5. Bombshells by Jim Butcher. I loved this story which was fabulously non-sexist, and had the marvellous Molly as our dangerous woman. Awesome.
  6. Raisa Stepanova by Carrie Vaughan. Raisa is certainly dangerous, in this historical, fact based, war story. This wasn't for me, but that doesn't mean it wasn't well written.
  7. Wrestling Jesus by Joe R Lansdale. This story should be embarrassed to be seen in company with some of the other tales in this book. The male characters are horrible, and the woman is nothing but a prize. She is the excuse the men use for reprehensible behaviour, while little to no interest is paid to her character.  She is accused of horrors, but no motivation given. Awful.
  8. Neighbours by Megan Lindholm. Megan Lindholm is Robin Hobb or vice versa. I like the woman. This is a good story, and an interesting take on dementia. Beautifully done. I don't see a dangerous woman though.
  9. I Know How to Pick 'Em by Lawrence Block. No idea what this story is doing in this book. This is the story of a man meeting a vulnerable woman and murdering her. The whole point is that she is not dangerous, but she needs to be, and she is too stupid to see the situation she's getting into.  Unpleasant.
  10. Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell by Brandon Sanderson. I love the title, and this story. It's beautifully crafted and well told. Complete with a dangerous woman by the name of Silence. What a great name. But Silence isn't the only thing to be feared in the Forests.
  11. A Queen in Exile by Sharon Kay Penman is a really interesting story about a Queen making the most of a difficult situation. She's brave, she's wise, but she isn't dangerous. The author adds a note to say that after the events of this story she may have been involved in a rebellion against her unjust husband's rule. It seems to me that that tale would be the one to tell for this book. Perhaps it wouldn't be so interesting though.
  12. The Girl in the Mirror by Lev Grossman. Hmm, well, people think the girl in the mirror is dangerous, but there's no evidence of it. It's a bit tediously Harry Potter-esque for me, and a shame that in a story with mainly female characters, it's a male professor who must come to the rescue.
  13. Second Arabesque, Very Slowly by Nancy Kress. Totally love this post apocalyptic story, vividly painted and totally gripping. Complete with dangerous women too.
  14. City Lazarus by Diana Rowland. Surprisingly good for a detective-type tale. There certainly is a dangerous woman, but I'm not telling you who.
  15. Virgins by Diana Gabaldon. I read this so you don't have to. Don't get me wrong, the idea behind the story is good, the characters well realised, but why make people speak with Scottish accents if you don't know how to write a Scottish accent? It's painful to read. There is also no development of the fact that the two highborn Scots turn out to be Catholic. Obviously it's not a problem that they are, but something that contentious would surely be pass remarkable? As for dangerous women, I suppose the woman in question is a bit dangerous, although vexing might be more apt. Again the story is focused on men, and women serve as troublesome cargo, service providers, and unfortunate pawns. Diana Gabaldon has done very well with her Outlander books (the characters from which are in this story), and I'm sure the TV series works better, although I found the first episode maddening for its non-problematic idea of everyone in Inverness being a bit pagan. Surely the wee frees would have something to say about it?
  16. Hell Hath No Fury by Sherilyn Kenyon. I was dubious about this story to start with. The characters are made for TV, but it sucked me in and I was quickly hooked. It's a great wee ghost story complete with morals and a very dangerous woman.
  17. Pronouncing doom by SM Stirling. I loved this story. It's set around an idea which is a really interesting if improbable one to explore. An island which has shifted in time. I'm going to add some SM Stirling to my reading list. However, the main dangerous character in this story is a man. There is a woman who has had it in for him and gets to have her day, but with permission, and with help. Hardly dangerous really.
  18. Name the Beast by Samuel Sykes. Sam Sykes is Diana Gabaldon's son. So I didn't have high hopes. I found the story hard to follow, but beautiful and poignant, and starring a dangerous woman.
  19. Caretakers by Pat Cadigan. An interesting story packed full of dangerous women. Grand stuff.
  20. Lies my mother told me by Caroline Spector. A wild card story, with some very dangerous women.
  21. The Princess and the Queen by George R R Martin. The reason I bought this book! Some back story for the Song of Ice and Fire series. This story focuses on two Targaryon factions led by said women, who while they are dangerous are vulnerable to the whims of the men around them.
Have you read it? What did you think?

If you liked this, you should try these:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A wee update

  Hello! Thought I'd give you a wee update on how things are going in my world! Little Gods came out with Roswell Press at the end of September 2023 and I was really busy for the first bit of October, reading poems from the new book at various local events. I'm really grateful for all the books people bought, but there's still copies available, either online via Amazon  for Kindle or in paperback, or you can get in touch with me at caralmckee (at) gmail (dot) com to get a signed copy of Little Gods and/or First Kiss sent to you in the post! After my reading frenzy at the beginning of October I took a little break for a birthday celebration frenzy (it's still going on, there's a lot to celebrate). I've been meaning to read a couple of poems online too, but I'm having a flare of trigeminal neuralgia which is triggered by talking, so that will come when it comes. I'm hoping to read at the Scottish Writer's Centre launch of their new Mountain & Glen

Chapbook number two is coming!

  Great news today as I'm working on a new chapbook coming soon with Roswell Publishing. This is all I'm going to show you right now - my beautiful notebook, picked up at the Bronte Parsonage Museum in Haworth, on my last ever day out with my Mum. This notebook is full of mostly glued in, revised, scribbled on and annotated poems, some of which are going in to the new wee collection with Roswell. Why did I want to work with Roswell Publishing for this collection? I was following Rae on Instagram because I'd seen her pop up in some other writerly stuff I was interested in, and she seemed to be working with a load of writers I am currently obsessed with - like Claire Askew, Kate Garrett, and Alice Tarbuck for example, so when I saw she was calling for submissions, I went for it. She's been such a joy to work with so far, and I look forward to being able to tell you more about my second chapbook! Find out more about Roswell Publishing on their website , or head over to the

Happy New Year!

I can still wish you happy new year before January's out, right? Having spending a while doing research and convincing myself I can't write, I'm back in the room in 2019, sending my little baby poems out into the world. I have broken up the chapbook I was trying to get published, I've rewritten lots of stuff, and I'm happily sending them out to places where I hope they might find a happy home, while supporting some of the fantastic poetry magazines out there. One of those fantastic poetry magazines - Picaroon Poetry  - run by the marvellous Kate Garrett - has already accepted one of my babies. It was one of the ones that I'd started to feel bored by, so I tore it to bits, rewrote it, and sent it off to Kate, who will be sending it out into the world in Picaroon Poetry #16 in May (which is terribly organised if you ask me, I don't even know what I'm doing tomorrow!). Thanks Kate!  Hopefully I'll be letting you all know about more successes soo