Skip to main content

writing letters

In these days of social media, we're sending less letters to each other.  But not to worry.  We're keeping the Royal Mail alive delivering our online shopping.


Thanks to Dave and Neil for this pic of teenage me
Teenage me wrote a lot of letters.  I wrote poetry too.  It was all rather heartfelt I'm afraid.

Desperately worried about talking to actual human beings, and hiding all my fear in a shroud of Goth, I put an advert in Raw magazine for penpals.

I suspect some of the people who responded weren't looking for penpals.

Anyhow, I ended up writing to lots of young men, most of whom were not in prison.  It was brilliant.  

Most of them sent me compilation tapes (not that that ages me at all), and pictures of themselves.  There was one who sent a picture of himself in a tent, wearing a sleeping bag.  All long hair and cheeky monkey.  There was one who said he'd pop round when he got out of prison - my Mum wasn't keen.  There was one who did pop 'round.  I had nothing to say to him.

Then there was Nick.  Nick had spiky, cramped handwriting, and pressed hard on the paper.  He sent photo's of blue and black.  He was good looking and misunderstood, and he lived down South (and no, it was not that Nick), and I really liked him.  I sent him a couple of compilation tapes back, and wrote him poetry about Yorkshire moors and Luddites.  I introduced him to New Model Army.  Nick meant a lot to me.  Clearly, he liked what I wrote, because he moved to Leeds!  When I started bumping into him in the Phono, he wasn't beautiful and misunderstood any more.  He was skinny and whiney.  It was a pure shame.

So now we don't have the fake relationships of penpals, but it seems to me there are other avenues open to people.  I don't tend to write to people much - it's faster by far to instant message, or email, or go on Facebook, and do you know what?  It's brilliant.  I love being in touch with so many people who have touched my life.

What about you?  Are you a fan of letter writing?

In other news we are almost there.  I have taken my final photo of #100happydays, and tomorrow will kick off the #10grumpydays challenge.  Can you take a photo of something that makes you grumpy each day for 10 days?  Don't forget to post it on Facebook or Instagram and use the hashtag.

Other posts you might like:



The book challenge
Words at 11/6/14 - 86,500.  
47,000 words done since the challenge began, 4,500 this month.
Where I'm at in First Draft - Chapter 20.
What I did last - Yet more sex.  I mean, I'm happy they're happy, but they need to eat!


Thanks to my friend Emma for the inspiration for today's post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A wee update

  Hello! Thought I'd give you a wee update on how things are going in my world! Little Gods came out with Roswell Press at the end of September 2023 and I was really busy for the first bit of October, reading poems from the new book at various local events. I'm really grateful for all the books people bought, but there's still copies available, either online via Amazon  for Kindle or in paperback, or you can get in touch with me at caralmckee (at) gmail (dot) com to get a signed copy of Little Gods and/or First Kiss sent to you in the post! After my reading frenzy at the beginning of October I took a little break for a birthday celebration frenzy (it's still going on, there's a lot to celebrate). I've been meaning to read a couple of poems online too, but I'm having a flare of trigeminal neuralgia which is triggered by talking, so that will come when it comes. I'm hoping to read at the Scottish Writer's Centre launch of their new Mountain & Glen

Interview with Gutter

It was lovely to be invited to do an interview with the marvellous Gutter magazine in the light of my poem, Bending to Nightbreak , being published (in fabulous company) in issue 27. Here's a couple of pics they shared on Instagram from it - a picture of me, and a quote. You can find the whole interview, and one with Simon Wade too, here . 

Chapbook number two is coming!

  Great news today as I'm working on a new chapbook coming soon with Roswell Publishing. This is all I'm going to show you right now - my beautiful notebook, picked up at the Bronte Parsonage Museum in Haworth, on my last ever day out with my Mum. This notebook is full of mostly glued in, revised, scribbled on and annotated poems, some of which are going in to the new wee collection with Roswell. Why did I want to work with Roswell Publishing for this collection? I was following Rae on Instagram because I'd seen her pop up in some other writerly stuff I was interested in, and she seemed to be working with a load of writers I am currently obsessed with - like Claire Askew, Kate Garrett, and Alice Tarbuck for example, so when I saw she was calling for submissions, I went for it. She's been such a joy to work with so far, and I look forward to being able to tell you more about my second chapbook! Find out more about Roswell Publishing on their website , or head over to the